No surprise here. But the panel will not include outsiders or independent people.
Here is how ABC News describes the panel:
A group of veteran security experts and former White House officials has been selected to conduct a full review of U.S. surveillance programs and other secret government efforts disclosed over recent months, ABC News has learned.
The recent acting head of the CIA, Michael Morell, will be among what President Obama called a “high-level group of outside experts” scrutinizing the controversial programs.
Joining Morell on the panel will be former White House officials Richard Clarke, Cass Sunstein and Peter Swire. An announcement is expected Thursday, a source with knowledge of the matter told ABC News’ Jon Karl.
Independent and outside my butt.
- White House Picks Creepy Panel to Review NSA Programs (economicpolicyjournal.com)
- Advocate of Secret Infiltration, Cass Sunstein, on Obama’s “Committee To Make Us Trust the Dragnet” (emptywheel.net)
- Obama’s ‘outside experts’ for NSA review are former intel and White House staffers (washingtonpost.com)
- Review of US surveillance programs to be led by panel of intelligence insiders (theguardian.com)
- Not Exactly an “Outside” Committee to Review NSA Surveillance Programs (volokh.com)
- Cass Sunstein? Cass Sunstein On NSA Panel? White House Picks Arsonist To Review Firehouse (aconservativeedge.wordpress.com)