If I can’t say the word vagina, why are we legislating vaginas? What language should I use?
– Michigan State Representative Lisa Brown, protesting the actions of Republicans in banning her from speaking on the floor after stating, in a debate over a restrictive abortion bill, “Finally, Mr. Speaker, I’m flattered that you’re all so interested in my vagina, but ‘no’ means ‘no.’” A second legislator, Barb Byrum, was also silenced for proposing that vasectomies be subject to the same limitation as abortions under the proposed legislation.
Are the Michigan Republicans 10 year old children who view medical terminology as offensive? Are they all Babbitty little prigs? Is the party one that should more properly be described as the Michigan Taliban party, based on its disrespect of women?
Update: And now, a performance of the “Vagina Monologues” is set for Monday evening on the steps of the Michigan capitol building.
- Two Michigan legislators say ‘vagina,’ then silenced (seattlepi.com)
- Michigan GOP Bans Lawmaker for Using the V-Word (nymag.com)
- ‘Vagina’ Out Of Order In Michigan House (thedailybeast.com)
- ‘Vagina’ Is Too Lewd for Michigan State Republicans (theatlanticwire.com)
- Mich. rep’s vagina monologue (politico.com)